Sunday, December 13, 2015

Turkey Sausage and Kale Frozen Breakfast Burritos

So it's been about 18 months since my last post. I had made the decision when I started this blog that I was only going to do it as long as it was fun. The reality is that about 18 months ago I was in the middle of a fairly rough emotional time. I got to a point where I was pretty depressed and things that had made me happy weren't anymore and I just didn't feel like coming up with recipes, cooking, photographing, writing etc.

Then, as things got better, they also got busier and I just never managed to quite come back. Lately, I've been wanting to blog again. So I'm back baby! Oh, and I had a baby, S, who's about 7 months old now. And part of the reason I have this recipe to share!


When I had S back at the end of April, I had many wonderful friends who came to bring me sustenance. Luckily, we had purchased an extra freezer to store all the goodies! My friend Caity had brought a bag of individual, frozen breakfast burritos. They were totally delicious! I ate one every day and then they ran out, so I got the recipe from her to make more. Over the past few months, I've tweaked it a bit and this is the result.

Turkey Sausage and Kale Breakfast Burritos 

Ingredients

16 wheat tortillas
1 lb bulk turkey sausage (you can also use links and remove the casings)
1/2 of a 32oz bag shredded frozen hash browns
1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cups kale, removed from stems and roughly chopped
8 oz shredded cheese (I like sharp cheddar or pepper jack)
14 eggs
1/4 cup milk
3-4 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions

 In a large non-stick skillet, heat up about 1 Tbsp of oil. Brown the turkey sausage over medium high heat until cooked. Add in diced bell pepper, onion, and kale. Cook until onion is translucent and kale is cooked. Put the mixture in  a large bowl to the side.

In the same skillet, heat up the remaining oil. When hot, add the hash brown and cook until lightly browned on both sides. Season the potatoes liberally with salt and pepper. Put the cooked hash browns in the same large bowl with the vegetable turkey mixture.

Reduce the heat on the skillet to medium. Whisk together the eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. Slowly scramble the eggs in the skillet. You want to cook over the medium heat so that they cook slowly and stay moist. When they are mostly cooked through, but still soft, stir them into the large mixing bowl with the potatoes and turkey vegetable mixture. Add in the shredded cheese and stir everything to combine. Let the mixture cool so it's a bit easier to handle.

Take a stack of about 8 tortillas and place them between two dampened paper towels. Microwave about 15 seconds until warm and pliable. Place about half a cup of the filling mixture on to a tortilla and wrap it up like a burrito. Check out how to wrap a burrito.

Microwave the second batch of tortillas and fill. Wrap each burrito in a piece of tin foil. Place the wrapped burritos in the freezer. Once frozen, place burritos in large ziplock freezer bags. I can usually fit about 8 to a bag.

When you're ready to eat you can either bake them in their tinfoil wrap for 40 minutes at 375  or remove them from their tinfoil and microwave for about 3 minutes. I microwave it on a plate which makes the tortilla get a bit crunchy around the edge (which I personally like). If you want to keep the tortilla more pliable, loosely wrap the burrito in a damp paper towel before microwaving.  They are better if you bake them, but I almost exclusively microwave mine because my morning routine doesn't allow for 45 minutes of cooking. Plus, it takes my coffee maker about 3 minutes to make my morning cup of coffee so the timing is just too perfect.

These are a great gift for any new moms you might know!

No comments:

Post a Comment